Wednesday 28 January 2009

What Price Self Worth?

Undoubtedly, we feel good when other people say nice things about us. The other day, some guy on the street tried to pick me up by telling me "you're such a lovely girl". It was a lame line, but I couldn't help guiltily feeling good about myself. That's all fine, but there's a reverse to the coin. I have been more than once apostrophed while driving (despite being, of course, a brilliant driver). It didn't destroy my world, of course, but then again, I felt a bit unhappy about it.

I'm not sure why we depend so much on what other people say. It's not just close family, obviously, though they are usually the most powerful. Yet just about anyone on the planet has some potential magical power to ruin someone else's day just by pronouncing a nefarious word.

All this got me to thinking: do I really need to be told that I'm pretty, to know that I'm pretty? Do I need this mirror of the world to convince me of who I am? Should we be this dependent on our environment?

No comments:

Post a Comment